Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Week 12 Reading: English Fairy Tales Part A

(Three Little Pigs - Third Pig Builds a House
Leonard Leslie Brooke Source: Wikipedia)



I found myself engaged in Part A of the English Fairytales, and below are the notes I took while reading some of the stories:


Tom Tit Tot

  • I really enjoyed this story, however, it's so interesting that this English fairy tale resembled Rumplestiltskin, which I believe is a German fairy tale. It was interesting to read another version 
  • The main characters end up being the daughter and Tom Tit Tot - I think it would be interesting to retell this story from a futuristic point of view with updated technology, etc.
The Rose Tree
  • This story was not what I had expected at all
  • The little girl ends up being a bird that becomes the main character of this story
    • If I were to retell this story, I would make it where the girl is not killed but that her hair is chopped off. I was thinking to take a more modern approach and have the girl in pain due to lack of self-confidence, but soon she is discovered by a model agency in which she becomes a famous model. 
    • She can then be asked to travel the world and can bring her family with her on this journey with her career and she chooses to take her dad and brother, only. 
  • I'm not sure where the girl's birthmother ever played a role in this story as they never really develop her character. It would also be interesting to retell the same story, but also include the girl's birthmother and her role in the story. 
The Old Woman and Her Pig
  • This story was like telephone in that there were a chain of events that had to occur to achieve the result desired 
  • Just to get the pig over the stile so the woman could get home, all of these events occurred 
  • It would be fun to retell this story and completely change the chain of events 
Mouse and Mouser
  • This story seemed more like a nursery rhyme 
  • I'm not sure how I would retell this story, but the style of writing in this story was very unique
  • The two main characters banter back and forth with witty remarks - so it might be fun to just completely retell this story with my own made up remarks 
The Story of the Three Little Pigs
  • The ending on this story is completely different from the way I was ever told this story
  • It's interesting to see how across different cultures that the same nursery rhymes or fairy tales are tweaked
  • If I were to retell this story I would try to make the ending more modern and different from the one I have heard of before, and this one in this story
Bibliography: Joseph Jacob's English Fairy Tales Reading Guide Part A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Extra Reading: Georgian Folktales Part A

I decided to do an extra reading this week, and came across Georgian Folktales! Below are the notes I took from some of the stories I reall...