Friday, November 10, 2017

Week 12 Story Planning: Tom-Tit-Tot

(Image Information: Rumplestiltskin-Crane
Project Gutenberg Source: Wikipedia)

I decided to write a story planning post for the story I want to retell from the readings I read this week. Below are my detailed notes and some research I did regarding the story "Tom-Tit-Tot".

Notes:

  • There is some really old English language in the beginning with the mother and daughter conversating. They talk back and forth about the pies not being ready to eat, but it turns out the daughter ate them. I think I would want to change up the language here to a more modern approach maybe use texting and insert a custom-made text message graphic with the two conversating, even though they're in the same house! 
  • Then the king walks by and hears the mother talking about how her daughter ate the pies, and she changed it to where the daughter had made five skins. In my story, I was thinking to have the mother go to text her friend but ended up selecting the king's number. She types that her daughter ate all the pies, but AUTOCORRECT comes in the way and says that her daughter made something else. I am not sure what she would say here that would entice in the king in this modern tale.
  • The king will read the text message and end up texting the daughter that he has liked her for a long time and would like to take her on a date. She agrees, and when the king comes to pick her up, he has a conversation with the daughter's mother about how if he asks her to marry him she has to make the items she had previously stated she had made (still not sure what I would do here).
  • When the daughter is locked up for a month, I would make it to where the king lived in a hi-tech house so that when the king comes to see the girl, he must use a fingerprint scan to open the door and see that she is making what he wanted. 
  • I will make Tom-Tit-Tot have the power to teleport, so he would randomly arrive. This is where I would connect the mother back into the story. I want the mother to be friends with Tom-Tit-Tot and send him to help the daughter since she's been keeping track of the months and knows that the daughter would be making items like the king had requested. 
Research:
I realized through Googling Tom-Tit-Tot that this is an English variant on the famous Rumplestiltskin tale. So, since the stories were similar, I decided to look up a critical analysis of this story to learn more about the themes in this story. On a website (click here), I found that there were multiple themes in this story: the law of two's (two characters being involved in each scene), greed, and power. In my retelling of this story, I will still have the law of two's, greed, and power present. 

Bibliography: Joseph Jacob's English Fairy Tales Reading Guide


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sonali! That English version of Rumpelstiltskin is so cool! Here is a website with lots and lots of similar stories you can compare: Name of the Helper. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 Extra Reading: Georgian Folktales Part A

I decided to do an extra reading this week, and came across Georgian Folktales! Below are the notes I took from some of the stories I reall...