Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Week 14 Reading: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman) Part A

Below are some notes for the stories in Brother Grimms Part A of the Ashliman Unit that I found interesting, and would probably consider using in my storytelling post this week.

(Image Information: House Cat with Bow
Free Vintage Illustrations Source: Flickr)


Cat and Mouse in Partnership

  • This title was interesting because for once, I thought it would be a story about a cat and a mouse getting along - but it was to catch the attention of readers
  • To create a new story, I would have to use two animals that supposedly don't like each other - cat and dog, mouse and elephant, snake and mouse, etc. 
  • The story was predictable the whole time, and using the amount of fat eaten as names for the godchildren was hilarious - this would be a fun story to retell!
The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids
  • This story was nothing I had expected from the wolf disguising himself to pulling out whole children goats and replacing it with rocks in the wolf's stomach 
  • It would be fun to completely turn the story around with baby wolves fearing a goat, and just seeing how that would play out. Usually, wolves are deemed as the "villain" characters but it would be interesting to make them the "good guys" for once.
  • I liked how unpredictable this story was the whole time from the beginning until the end and included a great amount of detail to allow for imagination 
The Seven Ravens
  • I am still in disbelief how casual the daughter just cut her finger and gave it to get the door open
  • We also never really find out what happens to the bone, so if I were to rewrite the story, I might include more detail on that 
  • I would also want to make this story more reflective and have some type of take-away message instead of just ending. 
Little Red Cap
  • I have never heard of a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood in this way, and it's hilarious how they call her Little Red Cap
  • The story also gives background information about why her name is that way, and I'm not too sure if in the story we are accustomed to that we are ever told why her name is Little Red Riding Hood
  • It's also nice that the ending concluded with what happened to everyone in the story
  • I might want to change up the name just as this story did - Little Red Hat, Little Red Scarf, etc.
Rumplestiltskin
  • I was really excited to read this story because I wanted to compare it to Tom-Tit-Tot
    • There were quite a few differences as there wasn't much of background story to developing the mother and daughter scene as in Tom-Tit-Tot, and in Tom-Tit-Tot, there wasn't any mention of the girl giving anything in return for the services provided. 
  • After reading Tom-Tit-Tot, and this story, I might just even consider making my own version and keep some of the same elements from the stories of both. I can now understand why different fairytales are interpreted differently around the world. 

Bibliography: Dan Ashliman's Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales Reading Guide Part A


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Extra Reading: Georgian Folktales Part A

I decided to do an extra reading this week, and came across Georgian Folktales! Below are the notes I took from some of the stories I reall...