Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Week 14 Reading: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman) Reading Guide Part B


(Image Information: Mt. Fox and Mt. Dawson with Dawson's Glacier
Photocrom Prints Collection at Library of Congress Source: Wikipedia)



Here are some notes of the some of the stories I really liked in Part B of Ashliman's Brothers Grimm unit!



The Fox and the Cat

  • Short, sweet, and simple - I like how this story is able to deliver a great message to children about character and humbleness without directly stating it
  • I think it would be interesting to make this story using people, different animals, etc. This story could easily be retold from a various amount of perspectives - all while still delivering the same message 
Simeli Mountain
  • I am still confused as to when the rich brother was in the mountain why he said "Open up" instead of "Close". The whole time we have read that they say "Open up" before going in and "Close" on their departure. Maybe this would be something I could clarify in my retelling.
  • I like, again, how the story was short, simple, sweet - and left a great message regarding greed and its consequences. 
The Duration of Life
  • I absolutely LOVED this story - what a cute way to talk about how different animals and people live different lengths of life
  • It would be fun to somehow incorporate cats and their nine lives in here, or make the story adhere more to my religion and somehow bring in reincarnation 
The Peasant and the Devil
  • I certainly did not expect the peasant to be the one who had the good luck and was the one who taught the life lesson in this story - I certainly thought the devil would cause some harm but this had a happy ending
  • I might retell this story and twist it to where it's not a happy ending and has to do with the devil!


Bibliography: 
Dan Ashliman's Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales Reading Guide Part B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Extra Reading: Georgian Folktales Part A

I decided to do an extra reading this week, and came across Georgian Folktales! Below are the notes I took from some of the stories I reall...