Thursday, November 30, 2017

Week 14 Story: A New Partnership

(Image Information: Report Card
Amboo Who Source: Flickr)

Two girls in their Organic Chemistry class had not done well on their past exam. They decided to go visit the professor during office hours but little did they know they would walk out forming a new partnership. While walking out, one of the girls, Ally,  asked, "Okay, so let's make study guides for the next exam and share them over a Google Drive?" The other girl, Anna, replied, "Sure, and I'll even make practice questions that might help prepare!"

This plan was followed, and it was 2 weeks before the exam. Both girls had already created a study guide, practice questions, and even uploaded handwritten notes. They both had every desire to pass this next test with an A. Anna and Ally walked out of class that day, and Anna asked, "So, when do you want to study together?" 

Ally hesitantly replied, "Well, see, I have to go to my parent's house this weekend. It's my mom's birthday. But, you could keep the stuff that you prepare for the exam in the drive! I'll take a look at it." Anna had no idea that Ally was actually just making up an excuse to go study with a different group of people. 

Ally avoided Anna the whole weekend and studied with another group. This group had an old test file for the upcoming exam, and Ally knew she needed to have a copy in order to do well on this next exam. 

Anna and Ally met up after class the next week. Anna said, "So, I don't think the SN1 and SN2 reaction mechanisms will be asked on the test." Ally, having seen an old test file replied, "You know, I actually think we should know it. I heard it would be on the test for sure." 

Confused by how Ally was so confident with her answer, Anna replied, "Well, alright. I will make sure to upload my handwritten notes about those tonight. Want to study together tomorrow?"

Ally hesitantly replied, "Uhhh, well. I have to go to my friend's birthday dinner tomorrow night. So, I don't think I'll be able to study. But, you go on ahead. I'll just take a look at what you put in the drive."

Ally had overheard a separate group earlier that day talk about how they had a more recent test file. Hearing about this, Ally made arrangements to study with them the next day. Ally was going to do anything she could to do well on the next test. 

After class later that week, Anna asked, "So, how was your friend's birthday?" 
"Oh, it was, you know. Just like any other birthday dinner," replied Ally. 
"Well, hey, I was looking through the notes and I doubt the professor will ask any questions about E1 or E2 mechanisms," said Anna. 
"Uhh.. you know, I think I heard that this test actually will. I mean it's such a common mechanism," said Ally. 

Confused again as to Ally's weird tone in her response, Anna began to think something was going on. "How do you happen to be so sure about what's going to be on this test? Do you old test files?" asked Anna. 
"Yes, I do. Doesn't mean I have to share them with you," said Ally.

Disbelief was shown all over Anna's face. Anna worked long and hard to create all that was in the Google Drive, thinking that Ally would be her partner in studying. Instead, Ally was selfish about her own grade and just used other resources to gain her own grade. You see, that is the way of the world. 

Author's Note: In the original story, "Cat and Mouse in Partnership", a cat and a mouse become acquainted and decide to get a pot of fat for the upcoming winter. They knew it would be long and hard, so they decided to share it and wait to eat it. However, the cat got greedy and started eating the fat before time even came to eat it. Every time the cat went out to go eat the fat from the pot, the cat made an excuse as to why he was leaving the mouse. He would say that he was going to visit his godchildren, and upon his return, would tell the mouse the new god child's name as a result of how much fat he ate from the pot (e.g. Half-Gone, All-Gone, etc). The mouse caught on that the names of the godchildren were actually representing how much the cat had eaten from the pot. Winter had arrived, all the fat was gone, and the mouse was in shock. The cat told the mouse not to utter another word, and ate the mouse. In my story, I decided to take a modern approach with studying and showing how the same greed can be represented among students trying to make good grades.

Bibliography: Dan Ashliman's Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales Reading Guide

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sonali!
    I really like this story! I think everyone has met that person who is more interested in helping themselves than helping their friends, and I think you used that to make Aly a pretty believable character. I love that you used Organic Chemistry for the plot. I know that a lot of people struggle with that class, but I loved it, so it's fun to see the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sonali,
    This was a great story, I really like how you tied the aspect of school and studying into the story. It made it more relatable and real. If I were to say there was anything to add maybe an ending that flips back on Ally and make Anna do better on her test because while Ally was riding off of everyone else's work, Anna put in the time and effort and really knew all of the material that was needed on the exam. Just a thought! But overall Great story and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sonali!

    I think that this is a very accurate retelling of the cat and mouse story. Ally was using Anna for her study materials, like she was the other groups. It is important to recognize that there are some people in this world who will only be near you for what they can get out of you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 Extra Reading: Georgian Folktales Part A

I decided to do an extra reading this week, and came across Georgian Folktales! Below are the notes I took from some of the stories I reall...