Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Week 11: Reading Notes - Native American Hero Tales Part B


Part B of the Native American Hero Tales presented some pretty interesting tales. Again, it was really interesting to relate these stories back to Indian tales I have read before. From character development to the plot lines, there were lots of similarities. Below, I jotted some thoughts regarding the stories I really found interesting in Part B.

(Image Information: Native American Chiefs
Author not indicated Source: Wikipedia)


Lodge-Boy and Thrown-Away

  • This story made me think of Dr. Seuss's "The Cat in the Hat". The boys kept doing the opposite of what their father told them and came to prove him wrong. I am not entirely sure the meaning behind this. But there was symbolism in trying to explain things like "why snakes heads are flat". 
  • We merely meet "Red-Woman" for a short scene. There is no background information about her, and her story. I think it would be interesting to retell this story by adding some background information regarding Red-Woman and character development. This would also make sense later when the father realizes who had killed his wife - as I still don't understand how he knows just looking at his wife that Red-Woman did it. 
The Son-In-Law Tests
  • I thought this story really had a plot that was hard to follow. I found myself getting lost at times, and finally, at the end, the story concludes with "and that was the origin of the pike". I guess I wasn't really able to follow this story.
  • If I were to retell this story, I would do the opposite gender. I would name the story "The Daughter-In-Law" tests and create different scenarios for this gender change. 
Dirty-Boy
  • This story reminded me of the Ramayana when Rama was told to break Shiva's bow in order to be suitable for the King's daughter
  • This story also had its own plot line as to what the men must do to marry the King's daughter. I think it would be a great way to tell this story by changing the gender as well. It would be interesting to see how this story could be different with women trying to gain acceptance from the queen for her sons. How fun would that be?
  • I like how this story gives the message that 1) in order to find the one you're supposed to be with you have to look past superficial things 2) the person who you end up being with may not be who you expected. 
Bibliography: Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson Reading Guide Part B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Extra Reading: Georgian Folktales Part A

I decided to do an extra reading this week, and came across Georgian Folktales! Below are the notes I took from some of the stories I reall...